Materials science open access journals. I’ll complete the list whenever I find new journals. Please tip me if you know any journal I’ve missed, thanks ! I will not include journals from certain publishers spamming researchers and launching a new journal each month.
Exclusively open access journals
- Materials, published by MDPI. 650$
- Journal of the Ceramic Society of Japan., around 500$ (depending on paper’s length)
- Science and Technology of Advanced Materials, 0$ (funded by NIMS)
- Materials Today, free to read, it’s a magazine, though, not a journal.
- AZo Journal of Materials Online, with a unique open access reward system, where the authors and reviewers get some financial reward. Intriguing. No page charge for author.
- PLoS One. Not specific to materials science, all domains of science and medicine. No materials science category, actually, but hey, at least I know one materials science paper there ! 1 350$
- Physical Review X, 1 500$ (higher for long papers)
- Nature Communications, 5 000 $
- Scientific Reports, 1 350$. The NPG reply to PLoS One.
Delayed open access
- Journal of the Royal Society Interface, all articles are free to read after 1 year. All RSC papers are free to read after 1 year (biology) or 2 years (physics)
Journals with open access options
- Most of Wiley’s journals, such as Advanced Materials, Advanced Functional Materials, Small, Advanced Energy Materials, Angew Chem (but not the J American Ceram Society), around 3 000 $
- Springer’s Journal of Materials Science, Applied Physics, around 3 000 $
- Elsevier’s journals, cost around 3 000$. Sponsored, not open access.
- ACS’s journals, through AuthorChoice option, 3 000$ (cheaper for ACS members)
- a few JOM papers are free to read
- RSC journals have also an open access option, through EXiS Open Choice for 1380$